Saturday, July 21, 2012

How to get rid of Menstrual Bloating

Ahhhh, the cramps, the feeling of wearing a diaper, and the gross bloated stomach- aren't they all just beautiful gifts mother nature bestows upon us females? And for the guys reading this, did you know there's actually an ipone app for tracking your spouse's monthly cycle so that you know which days to be a bit more considerate and actually put the toilet seat down after you take a piss?



These are some tips that I've garnered through personal experimentation. I've read a lot of articles on this, and each woman is different, but for most women employing the following tips will be a surefire way to get rid of the gross bloating and cramps. When I follow these rules, my bloating is greatly reduced and there are hardly any cramps at all.

Hope these help!
1.) Don't drink or eat anything ice cold. This is an old Chinese edict that may have some scientific backing to it. I just know that although at first I thought this was just an old wive's tale from my mom, I found myself getting cramps every time I ate a popsicle or drank anything icey during my period. Whether you believe this or not, it's still probably better to not eat anything that will shock or upset your stomach.

2.) Eat often, and eat a hot breakfast. Having 5-6 small, evenly spaced meals a day will help prevent dips and spikes in blood sugar, easing the mood swings. Also, cramps don't hit as hard when your stomach is full.

3.) Avoid refined carbs. White carbs have little nutritional value and can cause bloating by themselves. By eating more fiber, your digestive system will thank you by not making your stomach swell. Steer clear of "whole wheat" bread or pasta unless you're 100% sure it actually contains a significant amount of whole wheat. I don't eat refined carbs 90% of the time, but my carb choices are still wide- fruits, brown rice, oatmeal, various grains, beans...

4.) Move more. Combat PMS with exercise endorphins. As they say- "Exercise gives you endorphins, endorphins make you happy, and happy people just don't commit murder. They just don't." ... No matter how tempting it is at times, i.e the time my brother spilled coffee on the sketch I had worked over three hours on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...